Today’s watercolor experiment: Based on my warmup exercise, I decided to use Prussian blue, carmine red and lemon yellow for my variegated wash today. Below is today’s experiment after the first wash: I love the way the upper portion turned out, where the Prussian blue (a greenish blue) merges with the lemon yellow. Even the lower […]

Working Out a Problem

Today’s watercolor experiment: I have been having a lot of trouble with india ink. It is supposed to be waterproof when dry, but it disperses when I cover a spot of it, with water. Here are the ink spots that I painted yesterday: Taking care: I may have poured a little too much ink out […]

Orphan Colors

I bought another bottle of masking fluid, as I rush back to my comfort zone. See yesterday’s posts (Nostalgia, Gaining More Comfort) for studies I’ve done with discomfort. Today’s watercolor experiment: Process: I love my new masking fluid (also called frisket). It is much thinner than the liquid latex I was using. Here is my […]

Red Abstract

Today’s watercolor experiment: I’m still on my nonrepresentational kick. Today for the first time, I used red as the dominant color, reaching to the borders of the paper. As in all my abstracts in this series (Let Watercolors Be Watercolors, About Those Watercolors, Yet Another Factor), my process was the same: 1) create a pool […]

%d bloggers like this: