Abstract 121714

Today’s watercolor experiment:

Process:

I used my liquid latex to make a pattern of drips and streaks. Unlike yesterday‘s use of this liquid watercolor resist, I did not have any idea of what result I wanted. Below is a picture of the fully dried latex. (Yesterday, I did not have the patience to allow for complete curing of the rubber, and spent a good half hour picking the goo out of one of my brushes.)

Watercolor: Abstract using latex resist - Stage 1

Next stage:

The squarish arrangements of the dots would seem to be an ideal setup for washes. The rubber could act like dams of color, potentially yielding drips of paint to a different color field below.  However, I opted for a different approach: I used a relatively small brush (#16) to paint around the rubber squiggles. I was hoping to merge the colors of the outlines of these nearby forms.

To complete this stage, I washed the perimeter with two different shades of blue. On the right lemon yellow edge of the paper, peacock blue mixed in, to yield a greenish hue. On the left cadmium red light edge, I washed in ultramarine blue. This resulted in a purplish cast to that side of the paper.

Below is the composition before I removed the latex:

Watercolor: Abstract using latex resist - Stage 2

Final stage:

After removing the resist, I painted the uncovered white primarily with color that contrasted maximally with the local background color. This meant I would paint red dots where the background was green and vice versa. In one or two places I didn’t hold to this rule.

Here is the final version of today’s experiment:

Watercolor: Abstract using latex resist - Final

Abstract 121714
9″x12″ 140# Cold Pressed Watercolor Block

Comment:

I think this study is less than successful. I could have made better choices for the colors surrounding the latex dots. I ran into some problems with muddiness in places. This is a risk unless the primary colors are chosen with care. Even so, any place all three primaries mix, a brown or grayish neutral color will result.

I do like the way the peacock blue and lemon yellow merged on the right side of the composition as well as the left side, where ultramarine blue and cadmium red light merged. The blending between left and right sides was successful.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: