Abstracting an Abstract

Today’s watercolor experiment:

Today I began by abstracting another painting of mine. This painting (Abstract 072415) was an abstract of one of my photos. This time I used colors that were complementary to the blocks of color in the original. I wanted clean boundaries, straight lines between different colors. I used masking tape to cover one color while I painted the adjacent block. The trouble began when I removed the tape. The paper came off with the tape. I was so frustrated that I just pulled it of quickly, the way one does if one wants to pull a bandaid off with the minimum of pain.  In the majority of cases (all the ones I know about), the skin stays on while the bandaid comes off. In the case of my watercolor, a big swath of paper came off.

I took a break from painting.

When I felt better, I used gouache to paint the areas roughened by the tape. I pasted one segment of the tape and the ripped paper attached to it, back in its original position. A bit of scaffolding or history of the process I used to create this composition.

Here is the result of today’s experiment:

Watercolor: Abstract - Color Blocks of Complementary Colors from 072415

Abstract of Abstract
16″x12″ 140# Cold Pressed Watercolor Block

The original abstraction:

Watercolor: Abstract 072415

Abstract 072415
16″x12″ 140# Cold Pressed Watercolor Block

And the original photograph:

Photograph: Abstract

Abstract 072415 – Reference Photo

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: