And I feel great! I got four new tires for the car today. It wasn’t that much of an ordeal. Although I wasn’t quite expecting a 2-hour wait, I was prepared: had my walking shoes and Plato’s Dialogs in my back pocket. After a 30 minute walk and part of the way through Protagoras, I decided to find a place to relax close to the tire shop.
It was a beautiful day as I sat on the curb in the shade. I took the photograph below:
Although the subject matter was fairly pedestrian (pun intended), I thought the composition was quite good (except for a little framing issue), so I decided to sketch it in watercolor.
From the start, I made some errors of judgement and technique:
I first put in a wash for the sky using cerulean blue deep. This color did not have the saturation to give me the deep blue at the top of the picture. I would probably have done better with phthalocyanine blue, a much more vibrant color.
Secondly, I laid down the long shadow of the street lamp. What was I thinking? I should have put down a variegated wash of gray for the street first. I could have carefully avoided the white lines and put in the shadows later.
I should have taken a little more time in sketching the back end of the flat-bed in the middle of the road. I would have been able to capture the shadows inside the wheel hubs much more faithfully. Also, I could have avoided the slap-dash rendering of the cars.
The trees are passable, but also would have benefitted from more detailed sketching.
I bet you can’t wait to see this ‘masterpiece’, so here it is:
In addition to those errors, the range of values is limited as well. It seems as if it is an underpainting, something I mentioned yesterday as one of my tendencies.
So, that’s it for being tired, at least for the next 60,000 miles.
I did a little more work on my Studio picture. The first picture is the original:
Below is the same watercolor with additional glazing. I on the back wall, I put down another layer of turquoise and then glazed that with Prussian blue. I used lemon yellow to glaze the yellow areas and reenforced some of the blue foreground objects with more cerulean blue deep. I also laid down more detail in the foreground.
This additional work seems to have increased the range of values. This is what I probably need to do with most of my work.