Another Experiment

Process thus far

My experiment with latex masking fluid is nearing an end. Although dripping can be fun, there is too much time needed for drying for the work to be spontaneous.

I made some progress through The Art of Cézanne by Albert Barnes and Violette de Mazia. It seems that every few pages I want to stop and try something out. The only problem is that Cézanne painted with oil paints. I try painting with watercolors.

The idea that struck me today was how important the brushstrokes were to Cézanne’s composition. I haven’t yet looked through my prints of his work yet, to see if these details are observable. I wish I had this knowledge when I visited museums that have his paintings.

Today’s experiment

Here was today’s process:

I applied paints of the primary colors from the tube to the paper. Then I used a razor blade to spread them out (couldn’t find a palette knife). I spread clean water around the edges of the smears to see what would happen. I left white space without benefit of masking fluid.

I used watercolor paper of a larger dimension so I could have more room (maybe 5 degrees of an arc to swing my elbow as opposed to 3 degrees on a smaller format paper). I used watercolor paper with a rough finish hoping that its texture would add something to the composition.


Whatever came out on paper was not what was in my head, although some of the blots of color inspired other counterbalancing blots. The inspiration came from the idea of watercolor as impasto, and the use of areas of color – a weak link to the discussion I read in the book about Cézanne.

Perhaps some inspirations come from images inside one’s head that must be realized on paper or canvas; others may have to come from one blot to the next.

Watercolor experiment using razor blade

7X10″ Rough Finish 140# Watercolor Paper

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: