I began this one with a relatively opaque watercolor called Terra Rosa. I like its tone, although it is a bit dull.
At this point, I had no plan for how I wanted this work to look at the end. I put down some more wide strokes. Some of the blue marks were bold, some more watery. I brightened it up with yellows and reds.
The central red wash caught my eye. I outlined it with green and later, with purple.
I have been using a liner brush to lay down thin lines. It added complexity to the background of this piece, even though it was laid down last.
I added thick purple lines at the periphery for containment, or bracketing.