Experiments

I started a painting the other day. I loved the marks I made with the brush and the combination of colors that resulted from the mixing of the pigments I chose. Then I chose to glaze the entire composition with another color. The result was less than satisfactory. I changed strategies and tried to accentuate the difference between the foreground figures and the background. Below is this study.

Watercolor: Abstract - Yellow Background, Blue and Purple Spots

Abstract with Yellow Background
12″x9″ 140# Cold Pressed Watercolor Block

I should have made some tests of how the yellow would interact with the underlying pigments, but I took a chance. Although not what I expected, this painting is interesting.

I was disappointed by this work but suddenly realized that I could try again. This is what I did. The result below is more what I had in mind.

Watercolor: Abstract - Blue Green Yellow Splats

Blue Green Abstract
12″x9″ 140# Cold Pressed Watercolor Block

2 thoughts on “Experiments

    • Thank you, Claudia. Before the paint dried, it had a wonderful iridescence, which disappeared upon drying. I was thinking along the lines of small peacockish bird forms. I hadn’t thought of botanical illustrations, but it really fits. Thanks for pointing that out. I value your comments, as always.
      Jack

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: