Todays other watercolor experiment:
After my watercolor warmup today, see Scales post, I wanted to do something creative. I used a stiff-bristle brush to paint a quick, angular, dry brush stroke that I usually use to represent an eyebrow and nose of a face. I used Hooker’s green. As I had some cobalt blue at my disposal, I used a bit of it for a cheek bone and some yellow ochre (also handy), to paint one of the eyes.
I have a flesh tone formulation (titanium white, yellow ochre and cadmium red light) that I used for a smooth stroke of another eyebrow and nose. I used a thin brush to dip into my cadmium red light mixture and paint along the edge of the flesh-tone stroke.
I mixed a wash of indanthrone blue (a dark color). I used this to wash around the outside of the already-painted face parts, leaving white space for another eye and a horizontal line for a common mouth.
After all was dry, I painted lemon yellow into the white space.
Here is my ‘Faces’ composition: