I had a lot of fun with today’s experiment. I normally apply latex masking fluid to my watercolor paper, paint or ink on top of it and remove it when I finish. I switched my procedure a bit, today.
I began by dripping some permanent ultramarine blue (Winsor Newton) ink on my paper, rocked it and jarred it into a pattern.
I added some permanent yellow ink, hoping to get the ink strands to merge in a nice green color. It didn’t happen exactly as I planned it.
I didn’t document all the next steps, but here’s a summary: I added water soluble inks, again yellow and blue as a prelude to the washes I intended to apply later. I then dripped on the latex resist on top of all the pigment.
I then washed the lower left area with Hansa yellow deep, which I thought would mix well with the greenish pigments in that area. I washed the upper right portion with opera rose to bring out the blue and yellow.
Here a photo of the composition while it was still wet:
“If it looks good when it’s wet, it won’t look good when it’s dry,” is a saying that I can confirm by showing you Stage 4 of this composition after it dried.
To maintain that ‘wet’ look, I added two more sets of washes to my composition.
And for the final reveal, here is the study with the masking removed:
I like the color blending of the inks and the washes. I did not expect the water soluble ink to seep under the mask. However, I should have known that it would since I applied the frisket on top of the ink. I do need to work on the white spaces. As it stands, they seem to interfere with the colors behind them.