Today was a busy day. But, I planned for that. It so happens that I was looking through some of my old sketch books in the garage, in a renewed attempt to straighten up. I am not even up to the point of de-cluttering, having back-slid since my first attempt in what seems like years.
In 2011, I was sketching every day. I was just dipping my toe in the watercolor arena, so to speak. The drawing below demonstrates my sparse use of color at that time. I was drawing fairly detailed, small-scale sketches (the sketchbook I used was one of the larger ones I used, at 5″x8″).
Today’s watercolor experiment:
I began with lemon yellow. Instead of using my palette, I squeezed out a dab of it directly in the middle of the soaking wet paper. I blotted around the edges so the yellow stain was confined more or less to the center. Since I love the warm yellow of gamboge, I dropped a few dabs of that color in the middle of the colder lemon yellow.
Surrounding the yellow field, I painted opera rose. This is an almost fluorescent pinkish red that I am hoping will come through the painting I intend to overlay on this background. Finally, I used one of my blues (my palette has several fresh splotches of blue, so I’m not 100% sure which one it was – it was on the red side, so it might have been cobalt blue). I blotted up most of the excess water and painted the four corners with a greenish blue – probably Prussian blue.
Like you (hopefully), I am looking forward to see what happens with this painting tomorrow.