Today’s watercolor experiment:
The photograph for today’s watercolor experiment looks downright dusty. It is probably the underexposure and low contrast of the print. I am sure that the day I took that photograph, more than 20 years ago, the scene itself was well lit.
I wanted to make the watercolor different from the photo. I remember the building was not a brownstone, but I painted it as such just to see what it would look like. I used dark outlines around the security doors and for the graffiti itself.
I made some progress portraying the correct perspective. Instead of looking down on the scene, as in a previous experiment, in this case, the viewer is observing the scene from about eye level. I am also proud of the street signs, which play an important part in the composition of this study.
Here is the photograph on which my watercolor is based: