Arthur, my pet avocado tree has been having a hard time. I planted him the other day, but he almost immediately began wilting and turning brownish. So I pulled him out (carefully) and put him back in the Mason jar. Of course I had to use new tooth picks, so he wouldn’t fall in. The roots actually would have held him up, they were so long, but I didn’t want to put any pressure on them.
Arthur’s decline did not seem to progress after getting back on the jar. However, I felt as if I could do more for him. The Healing Garden gardener suggested that I get some potting soil, a clay pot and give Arthur another chance at dirt. So that’s what I did.
I watered Arthur thoroughly and left the pot to drain, as per directions on the side of the potting soil bag. The weather was turning colder, so I took Arthur in for the night after he was all drained.
A day later, Arthur doesn’t look much different. Time will tell if Arthur takes to the soil.
I sketched Arthur in his new home. We were on the porch. It was a beautiful sunny day.
In preparation for the watercolor, I took look my pencil line for a walk. I have been exploring the pedagogic work of Paul Klee, who taught at the Bauhaus in the early part of the 20th century. While he is very clear that an artist’s creative impulse is the driving force behind a pencil he or she moves, he is not clear about the linkage between that impulse and motion.
I began the watercolor part of the study with a yellow wash of the leaves. From that point, I could wash with a blue color to get a green leaf, or red to get the orange-brown color of shriveled leaves. I left some intermediate shades from yellow to green and yellow to brown. The study might benefit from another wash or two of yellows, blues and reds.
I used Warm Sepia (Sennelier) for the shadows and a combination of this pigment and Van Dyke Brown (Daler-Rowney) for the dirt. These pigments seem very similar.
I will keep everyone updated on Arthur’s progress. Hopefully I’ll be using more greens than browns.