I began today’s painting in much the same way as I began the others of the past few days: choosing pigments, wetting the paper, spreading them around and watching them interact. In my painting entitled Layers, I repeated the steps of soaking the paper, applying more pigments to selected areas of the paper and letting the entire composition dry. Today, I removed pigments as well. In one of the wetting/washing steps, I dabbed the watercolor paper with a clean paper towel. During another ‘wet phase’, I used an ‘elephant ear’ sponge to remove narrow swaths of pigment on the middle and lower portions of the paper.
I love the atmospheric look of this study and the way a landscape emerged out of the mist. Perhaps I stopped too soon, but I really like the way it looks in its current state.