I am back at home after a couple of days visiting friends. The post from the day I left (ReBlotting), was an experiment with blotting and lifting pigments from the paper. As I was in a rush to leave, I only completed part of the experiment.
Completed (ReBlotting) watercolor experiment:
I rewet the original study and added the same pigments (cobalt blue and the umbers) to the paper. I wanted to darken the composition.
I took the opportunity to emphasize the blue shape at the upper right. I lifted some of the pigment at the center of the paper.
To complete the design, I washed the paper with a transparent earth tone (Transparent Iron Oxide – M. Graham). Since this is a transparent pigment, it would not obscure the underlying patterns, but it would darken and add another layer to the composition.
The blue shape reminded me of a lens. There was an empty space at the focal point that I filled in with red. I used neutral tint as a backing to the lens, which also served the purpose of widening the tonal range of the composition.