Today’s watercolor experiment:
I like the way yellow disperses over the paper. I started today’s study with a lemon yellow wash, followed by an application of several greens in the center of the paper with one of my wide brushes. Prussian blue graces the right edge and top of the frame. As an intermediary between the yellow and the green fields, I installed the beginnings of a mote of Winsor red. By doing this, I was hoping to set up contrasting looks between the harmonious matching of the yellow and red edges and the jarring look at the red-green interface.
Finally, I squeezed some paint out of the tubes onto the dried surface: chromium green, turquoise, and indanthrone blue. I planned to manipulate them in the next step.
I am still learning about how to introduce texture into my watercolor studies by manipulating the physical substrate. After I soaked the paper again after Stage 1, I used my razor blade to move pigment and scrape the surface of the paper. I moved most of the paint around with a wide brush; the razor blade acted mostly as a squeegee only. However, if a window washer were to use a squeegee like this, your window would have that scrapy, frosty look.
I painted over the Winsor red to make it stand out, and took a step back to see if it led me in any particular direction. Probably like most people, I tend to anthropomorphize. At the bottom center, the series of vertical scrapes reminded me of a clenched hand. I tried to replicate them a little bit higher in the composition. After the composition dried, I painted them a flesh color. I couldn’t visualize them as hands attached to a body, but together, they appear to be carrying something…