The idea today was to place my forest trees according to a fractal distribution along the horizon. I failed to discover how to do this, however. My next thought was to use the Fibonacci series both for height and lateral displacement trees. [I was fascinated by this arithmetic series in high school to the extent that Mr. Tiley, my Math teacher called me “Mr. Fibonacci.” ] This attempt also was not a success. The end result was simply that I ended up with taller, and fewer trees than usual.
I set the horizon at one third of the way from the bottom of the paper. This left very little room for a lake or river, so I filled the space between the observer and the woods, with a field populated with tall grass.
I also made the tree trunks more substantial by painting brush strokes of clear water in a dark field of pigment. The pigments were driven away by the influx of water. The major lesson I learned in this experiment was how to vary the tone in an otherwise dark area of a composition.