This is the latest entry in continuing saga of slowing…. down… my… process… of …… watercolor…. painting.
Remember yesterday when I said couldn’t see myself painting each and every brick in the Bowie & Weatherford Inc. Booksellers building? Well I did see myself doing that exact thing today. Correction: I didn’t paint each and every brick today because I have MORE BRICKS to paint tomorrow. I felt myself getting a little out of line, so to speak, with some of my rows (I hope it is not too noticeable). It is really hard to be consistent!
I honestly couldn’t figure out another way to do this. Perhaps suggestions of bricks at different positions in the wall, accompanied by a brick-like wash, would do the trick. I will have to try this on a scrap piece of paper before using this technique in a painting. A word about the color: the basic color was a 1:1 mixture of yellow ochre and cadmium red, with a lot of white mixed in. To get the variety of brick colors, I added a bit of ivory black or more yellow ochre.
I took a little break from the bricks to work on the windows and, to tell you the truth, I couldn’t see myself laying one more brick today.
Tomorrow I will finish the brick work, paint the person leaning in the doorway and probably darken the sidewalk. I also want to try splattering the building facade to see if it really adds texture.
Today’s Vintage Photograph:
One of the first two cats I had was named Hidey. I got her on one 4th of July and after the fireworks, I couldn’t find her for 3 days. She was good at hiding, thus the name. She was a beautiful kitten – a Russian Blue. I remember using up an entire roll of film to get the picture below. I must say that I am very proud of it, even though RCA Victor stole my idea and substituted a dog for a cat.